- 3 tablespoons finely ground espresso coffee
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Spanish sweet paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 2 bone-in or boneless rib-eye steaks, 2-inches thick, approximately 1 1/2 pounds each
- Canola or olive oil
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and adjust oven rack to center position. Combine all spices in a bowl and set aside.
2. Preheat a cast iron grill pan over high heat.
3. Brush each side of the steak with oil and then season each side liberally with salt and pepper. Rub 2 tablespoons of the coffee rub onto 1 side of each steak.
4. Cook the steak, rub side down until nicely browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the steak over, cook for 2 minutes and then transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven to medium-rare doneness, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.